One of the ways for an instructor to make content available to students in a Blackboard course is to link to a file. Instructors can upload a file and make it available for students to download from a link.
Download this post as a PDF – Adding a File into the Content Area
- Login to Blackboard and access the course and course area where you would like to add a file.
- Make sure your Edit Mode is On.
- Then click on the Build Content button and select File.
- There are two options for finding files to add: Browse My Computer or Browse Content Collection. Select the option where your file is located then select your file. Once you have selected the file give it a Name. This name will not change the original file name but will serve as a more of a title.
- Under File Options you can choose Open in New Window. This determines whether the file loads within the Blackboard window or opens in a new window.
Note: this may change depending on the web browser the student uses, for instance some may only prompt them to save or open the file.
- Under Standard Options you will make the file visible, choose whether to track the number of views, and restrict when users can access the file.
- Permit Users to View this Content is the master toggle for viewing the content. If this is NO, then students will never be able to see it, regardless of the Date and Time Restrictions. Instructors, Course Builders, and Teaching Assistants will be able to see the content at any time.
- Track Number of Views allows the instructor to know if a particular student has viewed the material. Only recommended for necessary items.
- Select Date and Time Restrictions controls the release of the content for student view. Instructors, Course Builders, and Teaching Assistants will be able to see the content at any time.
- Click Submit to save changes.