LinkedIn Learning, formerly Lynda.com, is a website that has thousands of online video tutorials that can be used for a wide variety of subjects. You can link to these courses from Blackboard and share them with your class. This allows you to provide opportunities for increasing student skills outside of class with LinkedIn Learning courses.
In many courses there may be required or supplemental skills that will increase a student’s ability to be successful. For example, students may need a working knowledge of how to use Microsoft Word as well as a familiarity with basic citation methods. These skills greatly increase a student’s ability to turn in quality papers, but in-class time would be best spent on teaching students content relevant to the writing of their papers. In an Engineering or Business class knowledge of Excel is often key to the successful completion of assignments. LinkedIn Learning has video tutorials on these subjects that you can provide for students without having to use valuable class time discussing them.
This is where LinkedIn Learning can be a highly useful resource. All faculty, students, and staff at the University of Arkansas, Fayetteville have access to LinkedIn Learning and instructors can assign a course or section of a course for them to complete. Alternately, they can refer students to those courses as a resource to increase their skills in these areas if they need extra instruction.
Signing In For the First Time
- First, Log in to LinkedIn Learning. Go to https://www.linkedin.com/learning/
- Click Sign In.
- Click Sign in with your organization account.
- Enter your email address and click Continue.
- You may then need to enter your uark user name and password again.
- If you are logging in for the first time, you will be prompted to choose whether you want to connect your LinkedIn account or not.
- If you do not want to connect your account, you can choose Do not connect my account.
- You will then be asked a series of questions to help curate videos for you. You can skip some, others you cannot.
- Once you’ve logged in to LinkedIn Learning you can either search or browse for the course that’s right for you.
Sharing a Link to a Course or Video
With LinkedIn Learning you can either share an entire course or share a video within a course.
- Login to Blackboard and go to the course where you want to share the video.
- In the content area where you want the video, click Partner Content.
- Click Content Market.
- LinkedIn Learning may not show up in the list. Click Browse All Content Providers.
- Select LinkedIn Learning.
- Search for the courses you want to include and select them by clicking the box next to the videos. You can choose multiple courses at once! No need to add them one at a time.
- Click submit. Note that it shows you how many videos you have selected.
- Click Browse and select the content folder where you would like the videos to appear then click Submit.
- An item will be created for each video.
NOTE: It is possible to copy and paste the link to the LinkedIn Learning video into Blackboard or you can create a web link. However, we do not recommend this because it will make the students log in manually and may or may not connect direclty to the video. This results in a poor user experience. If you DO want to choose this option, it is important to do the following:
Important: If you want students to have DIRECT access to this video (instead of them having to login from the main page and find this video or course) you need to include the following to the end of the link that you paste: &auth=true
This will ensure that the link will take them to a log in page for the UARK LinkedIn Learning domain and not the generic login page.
So instead of just pasting the link: https://www.linkedin.com/learning/writing-a-research-paper/welcome?u=50849081
You should add &auth=true, like so: https://www.linkedin.com/learning/writing-a-research-paper/welcome?u=50849081&auth=true