Blackboard provides tools for finding and embedding video content from YouTube in your course.
Download this post as a PDF – Adding a You Tube video into a Content Area
- Click on the Build Content button and select You Tube Video (in the Mashup column)
- Type in your search terms, choose your search options, and click Go
- In this example, “moon landing” was the search term. The results will be a list that resembles the following. You have the option to Preview the video before you Select it. Click Select when ready.
- You will be returned to the previous window. Here you can change the display name and in the description area, give the students some instruction regarding the video.
- The View controls how the video will show within Blackboard. The default Thumbnail will expand to show the video full size when clicked on. Text Link shows the duration and the user who uploaded it with a link “Watch Video”. Embed Video shows it at full size.
- An additional file can be added. Browse to it and follow instructions.
- Set the video’s display options.
- Permit Users to View this Content is the master toggle for viewing the content. If this is NO, then students will never be able to see it, regardless of the Date and Time Restrictions. Instructors, Course Builders, and Teaching Assistants will be able to see the content at any time.
- Track Number of Views allows the instructor to know if a particular student has viewed the material. Only recommended for necessary items.
- Select Date and Time Restrictions controls the release of the content for student view. Instructors, Course Builders, and Teaching Assistants will be able to see the content at any time.
- Click Submit to save the changes.