An explanation of the four digit term number located within your course title. It conveys the semester and term of the course and is used in Blackboard and other administrative systems such as UAConnect.
Terms (Semesters) and Sections
The academic calendar year is divided into nine terms (semesters). The numeric descriptor in UAConnect is a 4 digit number.
It starts with the century (1900s = 0, 2000s = 1, 2100s = 2), followed by a two-digit year, and ending with the term number.
(century, two digit year, term)
Term Numbers are designated as:
- 2 = Spring Independent Study (Self-Paced Online)
- 3 = Spring (including Intersession)
- 5 = Summer Independent Study (Self-Paced Online)
- 6 = Summer (including Intersession)
- 8 = Fall Independent Study (Self-Paced Online)
- 9 = Fall (including Intersession)
Note: Fall & Spring may also include some 8 week sessions. Summer contains multiple sessions. Intersession names usually include (INT) but not always.
Examples of course term numbers:
- 1193 = Spring 2019 (1=century 2000s || 19=year 2019 || 3=spring semester)
- 1196 = Summer 2019 (1=century 2000s || 19=year 2019 || 6=summer semester)
- 1199 = Fall 2019 (1=century 2000s || 19=year 2019 || 9=fall semester)
- 0993 = Spring 1999 (0=century 1900s || 99=year 1999 || 3=spring semester)
Some Engineering and Operations Management courses are based on five 8-week terms.
- Fall includes Terms 1 & 2
- Spring includes Terms 3 & 4
- Summer includes Term 5
Previous Semester Courses
- For students, previous semester courses will be unavailable and hidden.
- For instructors, previous semester courses will remain visible, however instructors can hide these sections from their “My Courses” module by altering the settings.
The section numbering are three digits, usually beginning with a “0”, “8”, or “9″, designating the course’s location or method of delivery.
- Section numbers for these on-campus courses are 3 digits, usually beginning with a “0” ( e.g. 001, 002, 011, etc.)
Off-Campus Sections (including Online)
- Off-campus sections begin with “9”, and follow the same terms as on-campus courses (e.g. 901, 902, 903, etc.)
- Independent Study Sections begin with “8” (e.g. 800, 805, 810, 815, etc.)
Want to hide your old courses? Read Enabling Terms View in my Courses Module